2009年4月20日 星期一

☞你可以天天說英語 - ☞A Rat Race 你爭我奪的激烈競爭╱汲汲營營的生活

對 話

Tina:Every day, it』s the same old thing.

蒂娜:每天老是一成不變。

Joanne:What do you mean?

瓊安:什麼意思?

Tina:Take the bus, go to work, punch in, punch out. What』s the point?

蒂娜:搭公車、去工作、打卡上班、打卡下班。這樣到底有什麼意義?

Joanne:Well, you know, make money, do a good job. That sort of thing.

瓊安:這個嘛,你也知道,還不就是賺錢,把工作做好,像這樣的事。

Tina:Well, I』m just not interested in the rat race.

蒂娜:唉,我就是不喜歡這種你爭我奪、汲汲營營的生活。

Joanne:What would you rather be doing?

瓊安:不然妳想幹嘛?

Tina:I』d like to be making movies.

蒂娜:我想拍電影。

Joanne:Tina, you hardly ever watch movies. And when you do, you don』t pay attention.

瓊安:蒂娜,妳根本不太看電影。妳就算看電影,也都心不在焉。

Tina:Well, if I made a movie, I would pay attention to it!

蒂娜:哎呀,如果我拍了電影,我就會專心看了啦!

[多學一點點]

★A Rat Race

rat指「大老鼠」,race是「賽跑」,所以本俚語字面上的意思就是「老鼠賽跑」。例:Miranda decided to get out of the rat race and recharge her batteries with a trip abroad.(米蘭達決定離開汲汲營營的生活,出國旅行充電。)

沒有留言: