2009年4月20日 星期一

☞你可以天天說英語 - ☞The Cat That Swallowed the Canary 滿面春風∕志得意滿

對 話

Jill:Hi, Kate. You look like the cat that swallowed the canary.

吉兒:嗨,凱特。妳看起來真是滿面春風。

Kate:Hello, Jill.

凱特:哈囉,吉兒。

Jill:What are you so happy about?

吉兒:什麼事這麼開心?

Kate:I』m not happy. I』m very angry.

凱特:我不開心。我很火大。

Jill:What? Then why are you smiling from ear to ear?

吉兒:什麼?那妳怎麼笑得合不攏嘴?

Kate:I』m trying a new thing. When you』re angry, you just smile until your anger goes away.

凱特:我在試驗新的招數。當妳生氣的時候,妳就一直笑,笑到氣消為止。

Jill:Is it working?

吉兒:有用嗎?

Kate:No. In fact, this stupid idea is making me even angrier.

凱特:沒半點用。事實上,這個笨主意讓我更火大了。

Jill:Well, you look so happy that you』ve made me feel better. Thanks!

吉兒:可是妳看起來好開心喔,連帶讓我的心情也變好了。謝啦。

Kate:I』m so glad I could help.

凱特:真高興我能幫得上忙啊。

[多學一點點]

★a cat』s paw 無知的爪牙,被利用的打手

make a cat』s paw of someone指「利用某人」,等於take advantage of someone(利用某人,佔某人便宜)。

沒有留言: